Elementary Division (Ages 8-10)
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Formal ballet training begins in the Elementary Division, a rigorous and comprehensive program of the highest caliber.
The Elementary Division syllabus progresses at a rate that allows the student to learn the exercises correctly and with full physicality. Repetition and slow careful work is emphasized, with the students learning discipline and control of their bodies.
Elementary Division students are required to attend all scheduled classes for their level and progress to the next level once they master the material and physical understanding of the syllabus in their current level. Students receive a written progress report at the end of each School Year.
BALLET AUSTIN ACADEMY BENEFITS
There are many benefits to training at Ballet Austin Academy, for both the student and family.
- All Academy students train in the same state-of-the-art facilities as Ballet Austin’s professional dancers, providing the opportunity/access to view Company rehearsals of upcoming performances.
- Live accompaniment is an important aspect of a professional ballet training program and is provided for all Elementary Division classes.
- 20% discount on all single tickets for Ballet Austin’s five annual productions at The Long Center, including The Nutcracker.
- Discounts for parents for Butler Center for Dance & Fitness classes and workshops.
- Complimentary BeWell Talks for Academy parents and students, featuring relevant topics for families.
- FREE or reduced-rate parking, on-site or nearby.
Our wonderful facility is open to all!
We are pleased to announce that patrons, parents, and students are once again welcome to return in person to the Butler Dance Education Center when Ballet Austin Academy begins the 2022/23 School Year.
Ballet Austin’s highest priority remains the health and safety of all the members of our Ballet Austin community. We believe that our mission focuses on the encouragement of health and well-being as part of the experience of dance, and addresses a vital need in people’s lives, especially now.
NOTE: Ballet Austin staff, faculty, and accompanists are fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
- Ballet Austin will continue to monitor the CDC, federal, state, and local guidelines, as well as the guidance of our medical advisor in this evolving situation. We will post updates to our protocols, as warranted.
- All eligible students are strongly encouraged to be fully vaccinated and boosted for COVID-19.
- If a students is feeling sick, regardless of whether or not they are vaccinated, they should stay home and contact their medical provider.
- We strongly encourage being tested for COVID-19 before returning.
- As the City of Austin and Travis County have lifted all COVID-19 emergency rules and orders, Ballet Austin is now a mask-optional facility.
- While wearing a mask is no longer required while on premises at Ballet Austin, due to Austin’s current “low risk level,” we strongly encourage the wearing of masks while onsite at Ballet Austin.
WHAT HAPPENS IF A STUDENT TESTS POSITIVE FOR COVID-19?
- Students who test positive for COVID-19 will need to isolate at home and report their case to the Academy Registrar, via email or by calling 512.501.873
- Students who test positive will isolate for 5 days (the day they test positive will be day 0).
- Students who test positive will need to be symptom-free and fever-free, without fever-reducing medication, for 24 hours before returning to Ballet Austin.
- Students may return to class on the sixth day after a positive test result and are asked to wear a mask for five more calendar days
Meet Your Instructors
Elementary Division Placement & Registration for New and Returning Students
To register: ENROLL ONLINE or DOWNLOAD PDF REGISTRATION FORM
If you have questions or need help registering your student, contact our Academy Registrar at 512.501.8703 or via email.
FOR CURRENT ACADEMY STUDENTS
Students should enroll based on their 2022/23 year-end evaluation. Former Pre-Ballet 7 students, who are 8 years of age by September 1, 2023, may enroll in Level 1.
FOR NEW STUDENTS
Previous Ballet Experience, Ages 8+
Students 8 years of age and older, with previous ballet experience, who are new to Ballet Austin, are required to attend a Placement Audition on August 21 or submit a Digital Audition to determine their acceptance and level placement.
To register: DOWNLOAD PDF REGISTRATION FORM
No Previous Ballet Experience, Ages 8–10
Students 8 years of age to 10 years of age, as of September 1, 2022, with no previous dance experience, are automatically placed in Level 1.
To register: DOWNLOAD PDF REGISTRATION FORM
No Previous Ballet Experience, Ages 11+
Students 11 years of age and older, with no previous dance experience, should contact the Butler Center for Dance & Fitness at 512.501.8704 to get information regarding ballet and other dance and fitness classes.
The Greg Easley Bryant Boys’ Scholarship Class will return in the fall of 2023. No previous dance experience is required to join the Greg Easley Bryant Boys’ Scholarship Class. The student’s first four classes will be considered the probationary period and will be used to assess the student’s ability to focus and work in a collaborative environment. The student should also demonstrate appropriate social, cognitive, and physical development. Boys ages 8–12, upon successful completion of the probationary period, receive a full tuition scholarship ($1,050 value) and may enroll at any time. Although it is recommended that this class be taken in conjunction with a corresponding Elementary Division Ballet Technique Class, it is not required.
Ballet Austin is humbled to have the name of this class honor an individual who made a positive impact on the ballet community in Austin. To learn more about how you can help ensure that future generations of young, male dancers have the support and encouragement to pursue their dreams of a professional dance career, click here.