ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Our Young Children’s Division introduces children to the joy of dance through imaginative stories, music and games, while providing developmentally focused movement experiences.
Our instructors employ collective knowledge of early childhood development and philosophy of adult/child interaction when managing the content and delivery of this carefully crafted curriculum.
Classes are narrative in nature as students are led through a series of movement stories and ballet-based activities that appeal to both girls and boys. The curriculum is designed to enhance physical, cognitive, social and emotional skills through collaborative and cooperative games.
All students taking classes at both locations have the opportunity to view Ballet Austin’s professional dancers rehearse for upcoming performances in our downtown studios.
Our Young Children’s Division classes are offered at several Austin locations. The curriculum, faculty, and dress code requirements are identical at all locations.
BALLET AUSTIN ACADEMY BENEFITS
Training at the Ballet Austin Academy offers many benefits for both the student and family:
- Receive The Sunday Jeté, the Young Children’s Division weekly newsletter
- Tickets to Ballet Austin performances at The Long Center, including The Nutcracker, are offered at a 20-percent discount.
- Discounts to Butler Center for Dance & Fitness classes and workshops for parents.
- FREE BeWell Talks specifically designed for Academy parents and students.
- FREE or reduced-rate parking, on site or nearby.
CURRENT COVID-19 PROTOCOLS
Ballet Austin’s current health and safety protocols reflect recommendations from the CDC, federal, state, local health officials, and the guidance of Ballet Austin’s medical advisor. With the health and safety of our students and staff as our highest priority, Ballet Austin’s protocols are cautious and evolving.
As new recommendations are announced, we will send updates to our protocols, as warranted.
BUILDING ACCESS DOWNTOWN
- Parents are asked to be on alert for any symptoms of COVID-19 and keep their students at home if showing any cold-like symptoms like coughing, sneezing, or a temperature of 100.4 or higher.
- One parent (or an accompanying adult) and the Young Children’s Division student will enter and exit the building through the main entrance.
- In order to limit the number of people in the building, access beyond the lobby will be limited to one adult per student. Siblings not enrolled in the class will not be permitted in the building at this time.
- We ask that parents/accompanying adults and the student arrive no earlier than 15 minutes prior to class.
- Ballet Austin staff, faculty, and accompanists are fully vaccinated.
- All eligible students are strongly encouraged to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
- Ballet Austin is now a mask-optional facility. While choosing to wear a mask remains an option, masks are no longer required while on Ballet Austin premises. The City of Austin and Travis County have lifted all COVID-19 emergency rules and orders.
- Student masks must be provided by the student/student’s family.
- If students are feeling sick, regardless of whether or not they are vaccinated, they should stay home and contact their medical provider.
- We strong encourage being tested before returning.
- If you tested positive, you will need to stay home and report your case to the registrar via email or by calling 512.501.8703.
- Returning to class:
- After testing positive, you need to wait five days before returning (the day you tested is Day 0).
- Anyone who tested positive will need to be symptom-free and fever-free, without fever-reducing medication, for 24 hours before returning.
- students who return to class on the sixth day after a positive result are asked to mask for five more calendar days.
Ballet Austin’s COVID-19 protocols reflect the recommendations of the CDC, federal, state, local health officials, and the advice of Ballet Austin’s medical advisor. With the health and safety of our students and staff as our highest priority, Ballet Austin’s protocols are cautious and evolving. As new recommendations are announced, we will consider them carefully and will share updates to our protocols, when warranted.
For updated health and safety protocols at the North-Central location, please follow this link here.
CLASS DESCRIPTIONS & SCHEDULES
Dance with Me (Ages 18 months – 2 years)
Dance with Me is open to children (accompanied by an adult) who are 18 months to 2 years old by September 1, 2022.
Parents, grandparents, or caregivers join the fun in this sensory-rich movement experience that keeps children engaged with stories, dance games, rhythm and songs while learning new skills. Dance with Me is the perfect foundation for Creative Movement classes.
Next Steps (Age 2)
Next Steps is open to children (accompanied by an adult) who are 2 years old by September 1, 2022.
Next Steps is the perfect transitional class for young children who are becoming more independent. Parents, grandparents, or caregivers are still able to join the fun in this sensory-rich movement experience that keeps children engaged with stories, dance games, rhythm and songs while learning new skills. As the year progresses, the aim is to slowly withdraw parent involvement so children are ready to take on Creative Movement with confidence and excitement.
Creative Dance (Ages 3 & 4)
Creative Dance 3 and 4 is open to children who have turned 3 or 4, respectively, by September 1, 2022.
The Creative Dance syllabus is designed to gently introduce our youngest students to a structured and safe classroom environment, while instilling the physical and emotional confidence to explore and create. Classes are narrative in nature as students are led through a series of movement stories and ballet-based activities that appeal to both girls and boys. Social skills are also developed through collaborative and cooperative games.
Ballet Austin In-Studio Classes will be a 4-week session from August 6 thru August 27, 2022. Classes will take place at our downtown facility.
Creative Dance 3
9:15 – 10:00 a.m.
Creative Dance 3
11:00 – 11:45 a.m.
Creative Dance 4
10:15 – 11:00 a.m.
Creative Dance 4
11:45 – 12:30 p.m.
Creative Ballet (Age 5)
Creative Ballet is open to children who have turned 5 by September 1, 2022.
Creative Ballet is a perfect balance of ballet basics and creative dance. Children are developing their technique, gaining body awareness and refining basic skills, while still having imaginative and creative dance experiences. They are taking a more active role in their own learning, acquiring the tools to collaborate, choreograph and exchange ideas with their peers. Students advance through Creative Ballet ready to step into the more structured world of Pre-Ballet.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTORS
Siobhan O’Donnell, Academy Registrar
Students should be enrolled based on their age on September 1, 2022. Young Children’s Division classes meet once a week for 45 minutes in duration.
If you ave questions or need help registering, contact our Academy Registrar at 512.501.8703 or via email.