THE NUTCRACKER SCHOOL SHOWS VIRTUAL DOCENT PROGRAM
Each year Ballet Austin offers The Nutcracker docent program free to campuses that register for The Nutcracker School Shows. Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic and in consideration of the safety of students and teachers, this year’s docent program is going virtual!
Prior to The Nutcracker School Shows Virtual performances, engage your students in educational content to help contextualize their experience. This optional pre-performance educational program is geared towards 3rd graders and includes engaging activities for the classroom or home setting.
Ballet Austin, the Ballet Austin Guild, and volunteers have been providing this free in-school, and now virtual, educational program for students throughout Central Texas for almost 40 years. The docent program helps make an escape to the ballet a meaningful and enjoyable educational experience for Central Texas students and educators.
- The docent program is offered only to those schools attending The Nutcracker School Shows Virtual performances as the pre-performance educational component to those shows.
- Please submit all requests for a docent presentation in conjunction with your school’s The Nutcracker School Shows Virtual performances registration.
- This year’s virtual docent program includes two components:
- An on-demand virtual presentation (consisting of three 10-minute videos) that can be viewed any time on campus or at home before the performance (all schools registered for The Nutcracker School Shows will be automatically sent a link to this video playlist the week of November 1st)
- An optional Q&A session during which a volunteer Docent will visit with your students virtually following the viewing of all three parts of the presentation to answer all of your students’ questions (a live virtual experience scheduled for the week of November 29th)
The virtual presentation will be delivered to all campuses that register for The Nutcracker School Shows as a series of three 10-minute videos that includes everything you need to know about:
- The Art and Athleticism of Dance
- Bringing a Ballet to the Stage
- The Nutcracker Story, History and Music
Details & Requirements:
- Company dancers, Ballet Austin Education Staff, and volunteer docents will guide your students through this virtual experience.
- Each video is 10-minutes long and includes fun elements such as video excerpts from the ballet and simple dance activities.
- The presentation will be delivered to all registered campuses the week of November 1.
- Schools should plan for a viewing time of 30 minutes total in the weeks prior to attending The Nutcracker School Shows Virtual performances.
The bonus Q&A session with a volunteer Docent is optional and campuses must indicate if they are interested that portion of the program when registering for The Nutcracker School Shows virtual performances.
Details & Requirements:
- Virtual Q&A sessions will be offered the week of November 29.
- The availability of virtual Q&A sessions with a volunteer Docent is based on the availability of our volunteers.
- If your campus chooses to have a virtual Q&A with a volunteer Docent, a teacher must be present in the virtual classroom for safety and in order to help with the platform.
- Teachers scheduling the Q&A with the Docent will host the live virtual event – after scheduling a mutually agreed-upon time for the Q&A, the teacher will create the virtual meeting room, send the link to the Docent, introduce the Docent to their students, and call on students who have questions so that the Docent can answer those questions.