This program serves students in Pre-K4 through 2nd Grade
About the Program
Our EduMoves™ DANCE program brings a weekly dance lesson directly to students on their school campuses. Instruction is provided by Ballet Austin faculty members.
The EduMoves™ DANCE curriculum aligns with SEL Core Competencies, Physical Education TEKS, and National Core Arts Standards in Dance.
Dance styles encompass diverse cultures, genres, and eras, including pre-ballet, hip hop, Hawaiian dance, Latin styles, and more. An excellent and fun introduction to classical ballet and fine arts, this dance curriculum is introduced when fine and gross motor skills are becoming more refined. By introducing students to dance cultures and styles from around the world, this curriculum enhances SEL, cognitive, and physical development at this important time.
The students participating in our dance residency program are eligible for further study at the Ballet Austin Academy. At the end of 2nd grade, students who have completed the in-classroom program are invited to attend a summer program at Ballet Austin. Upon completing the summer program, the students are eligible for a scholarship to study Level 1 Ballet at the Ballet Austin Academy during 3rd grade, with the potential of remaining on scholarship with Ballet Austin until the end of high school.
Current studies* show that the impact of the arts on education clearly indicate that arts experiences do play a significant role: enhancing academic achievement, reaching students on the margins of the educational system, creating an effective learning environment, and helping learners connect experiences to the world outside of school. The arts help students build skills that are essential for success in the 21st-century workforce.
Ballet Austin’s EduMoves™ DANCE program currently serves Blackshear Elementary School.
*Champions of Change: The Impact of the Arts on Learning, 1999 and Issue Brief: The Impact of Arts Education on Workforce Preparation, 2002
The length and content of the program can be customized to fit the needs of your school:
- As a long-term residency encompassing all modules (30 weeks of instruction in multiple dance forms, along with yoga/mindfulness components)
- As a short-term residency with customized modules concentrating on specific dance styles chosen by your campus (i.e. 4 weeks of Pre-Ballet and Latin Styles, along with yoga/mindfulness components)
The EduMoves™ Team
Pei-San Brown, Ballet Austin’s Director of Community Education
- Ph.D. coursework completed in Curriculum and Instruction specializing in Early Childhood Education, The University of Texas at Austin
- M.A., Curriculum and Instruction specializing in Early Childhood Education, The University of Texas at Austin
- B.A., Dance Pedagogy, University of California at Irvine
- B.S., Biological Sciences, University of California at Irvine
- Kumu Hula (or “Hula Master”) equivalent to a graduate degree in the study of Hula
Kylie Phillips, Ballet Austin’s Community Education Associate
- B.F.A., Dance, Texas Christian University
- Minor in Psychology, Texas Christian University
- 200hr Yoga Teacher Certification
- Certified Barre Instructor with Studio Barre
Kathleen Rockefeller, Educational Consultant
- M.A., Curriculum and Instruction, The University of Texas at Austin
- B.S., Elementary Education and Teaching, Louisiana State University
- School Principal Certification, Texas Education Agency
- Instructional Coach at Del Valle ISD and BetterLesson
For more information about having the program at your school, or for underwriting/sponsorship opportunities, please email Pei-San Brown or call 512.476.9151 ext. 178.
Community Education Programs Sponsors