The Ugly Duckling School Shows – Virtual
Recommended for Pre-K and Elementary Schools
About the Program
The Ugly Duckling is a 48-minute retelling of the classic Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale in the form of a ballet. This virtual performance was filmed in high definition from multiple angles, and has been professionally edited. Free supplementary lessons (see details below) are included with your registration for this student matinee.
FEATURING: Ballet Austin II
CHOREOGRAPHY: Jimmy Orrante
MUSIC: Various Artists
THE UGLY DUCKLING SOCIAL JUSTICE CONVERSATION (3.5 minutes)
A short recorded play featuring the characters from the ballet, based on our social and emotional learning (SEL) curricula about inclusion and exclusion. This post-show discussion prompt is best implemented immediately after, or within a day or two, of seeing the performance. A link to the recorded play will be available in conjunction with (on the same webpage as) the virtual performance.
THE UGLY DUCKLING DANCE LESSONS (10-15 minutes each)
Short, fun dance lessons designed and taught by our own faculty, and inspired by our ballet, The Ugly Duckling! Four lessons total – two each for Pre-K4 – Kindergarten and 1st – 5th Grade. These can be implemented pre-show or post-show. A playlist of the lessons is provided upon receipt of payment.
THE UGLY DUCKLING PRE- AND POST-SHOW SOCIAL JUSTICE CURRICULA (one class period each)
The Ugly Duckling pre- and post-show curricula support students’ social and emotional learning (SEL), focusing on the concepts of “inclusion” and “exclusion,” and were created for the in-person classroom setting. They are aligned with Kindergarten through 2nd grade TEKS in English Language Arts and Reading, Music, Theatre, and Physical Education, and can be implemented with modifications for each Pre-K and elementary grade level. These curricula are optional, and can be implemented independently or together to optimize your students’ experience with the ballet. Each requires one class period for implementation. Available only upon request after receipt of payment.
Upcoming Virtual School Shows
SCHEDULED VIRTUAL PERFORMANCES:
Dates & Times:
- Monday, May 17, 8am-3pm
- Tuesday, May 18, 8am-3pm
- Wednesday, May 19, 8am-3pm
- Thursday, May 20, 8am-3pm
- Friday, May 21, 8am-3pm
Cost: For The Ugly Duckling School Shows – Virtual, Ballet Austin is able to offer tickets to schools at half the usual price.
- $3 per student for Title I schools
- $4 per student for all other schools
- The Ugly Duckling runs 48 minutes long.
- A minimum of 10 students per school is required for registration.
- After you submit your registration information you will receive an order confirmation signaling that your reservation has been received and is being processed. If you pay during your registration with a credit card, your confirmation will indicate that you’ve paid in full. If you choose to pay later (by check, electronic funds transfer, or credit card), you will receive an invoice the day after your registration.
NOTE: Staff on Austin ISD campuses participating in the special CLI Spring Season of Arts Experiences should access the Ballet Austin Ugly Duckling School Shows via the Ballet Austin module in the Spring Season BLEND course that was emailed to campus administration for distribution. Campuses in this Austin ISD Spring Season cohort are: Allison, Baldwin, Baranoff, Barton Hills, Bear Creek, Blazier, Bryker Woods, Cowan, Gullett, Houston, Joslin, Kocurek, Langford, McBee, Mills, Oak Hill, Padrón, Patton, Pecan Springs, Pleasant Hill, Ridgetop, Rodriguez, St. Elmo, Travis Heights, Wooldridge, Uphaus, Zavala, and Zilker.
REGISTRATION & PAYMENT INFORMATION
2021 Registration & Payment Deadlines:
Please put the following dates and times (Central Time) in your calendars now to make sure you meet all registration and payment deadlines.
- Monday, March 22, 9am: Early registration opens for all campuses.
- Thursday, May 6, 5pm: Early registration closes. Any registration changes are due.
- Friday, May 7, 5pm: All payments due for campuses who have already registered.
- Thursday, May 6, 5pm through Wednesday May 12 at 5pm: Late registrations accepted. Payment in full is due immediately via credit card for all late registrations.
- Monday, May 17 through Friday, May 21: Virtual performances take place between 8am and 3pm.
You will need the following information ready to provide when you register:
- The date you prefer to attend the virtual school shows
- Title I status for your campus
- Total # of students attending
- School name and district
- Contact information for video delivery recipient (a teacher)
- Contact information for invoice recipient (a bookkeeper or other person paying the invoice)
- Total # of classrooms attending
- The grade level(s) of students attending the show
- Total # of teachers and aides attending
- Total # of students with special needs attending
- Whether or not any students will require audio description to accommodate visual
- School contact information including billing address
- Your campus credit card to hold your registration order. NOTE: The card will be held on file to reserve your registration but will not be charged if you indicate you would like to utilize a payment plan. You can pay your invoice at a later date by EFT, check, cash, or credit card.
New Registration Process:
This year’s registration process will look different, as we will be using our ticketing system to process all requests.
- During registration, there will be general instructions that apply to anyone buying tickets. Any green text is specific to teachers.
- A credit card is required to hold your registration, but will not be charged if indicate you would like to utilize a payment plan. Payment plans may be paid by check, EFT, or credit card before the payment deadline. Purchase orders will not be accepted as payment.
- When registering, you will be required by the ticketing system to create an account. If you already have an account, please log in with your username and password. Guest checkout is not available for The Ugly Duckling School Shows.
- Upon registration, you will receive an order confirmation that will list the number of tickets reserved and the total amount due. This indicates that your registration has been received.
- If you pay in full during registration, you will receive an emailed receipt which will confirm that you have paid in full and are registered for The Ugly Duckling School Shows – Virtual.
- If you choose the payment plan option, the contact entered during registration as the invoice recipient will receive an invoice via email the next day.
- Any changes to your initial submission should be emailed directly to Community Education Assistant Tori Johnson.
- Ballet Austin accepts EFT and ACH payments – please contact us for that information.
- Checks and credit cards are also accepted.
- No purchase orders are accepted.
- There are no refunds for The Ugly Duckling School Show – Virtual performances.
NOTE: You will need to enter a credit card number for your campus to register. The card will be held on file to reserve your registration but will not be charged. You can pay your invoice at a later date by one of the methods listed above.
If you have any questions that are not answered on this page or are interested in alternate dates The Ugly Duckling School Shows – Virtual, please contact Community Education Assistant Tori Johnson by email, or call our School Shows Hotline at 512.766.5073.