Butler Center for Dance & Fitness
How do I get started? How to I access my account?
To take drop-in classes you must first create a MINDBODY account. If you are unable to create an account before arriving for your first class, allow a few extra minutes before the class you plan to take, and we will be happy to assist you. You may also be interested in our free APP
Once your account is set up, you can purchase a single class or multiple classes, register for a workshop, purchase packages for the Pilates Center, check your schedule, check how many classes you have remaining, update your personal information, and update your payment information. We’d be happy to help you over the phone as well. Call 512.501.8704.
Are there membership fees?
No. Classes operate on a drop-in basis—start any time and come when you can. No membership requirement or long-term obligation. So give us a try!
THINGS YOUR INSTRUCTOR MAY NOT TELL YOU…but you should do…or not do
A few things you should know before arriving for a class:
- Leave your cell phone at home, in the car, or silenced in your bag. This is your time! An hour or 2 without checking your text messages!
- When you’re sick, stay home! You may want to sweat out your cold or flu, but others don’t want your germs. It’s okay to take a break and get yourself well!
- Bring water! Proper hydration is just as important to your fitness and wellness as the workout! And because many instructors are going to make you sweat, you need that water!
- Everyone started somewhere! Don’t worry if other people are using heavier weights, going farther while stretching, or just seem to get the choreography. The fact that you are there participating at all is the most important thing. Show up and give your best effort, and no one can ask for more than that! Including you!
- Develop body awareness. This is especially important in a group setting. Body odor happens. To prepare for that, keep wet deoderant wipes in your bag and give your underarms a wipe prior to class and put on some more deoderant.
- Wear clean workout clothes every time you workout. And wash them right after your workout to avoid the sweat smells from seeping into the fabrics and staying there.
How do I know if a class is right for me?
People take classes for a variety of reasons: recreational fun, burning calories, or learning or improving a technique. If you are looking for a class to dance and have fun, there are a variety of classes such as Hip Hop, Videodance™, or Jazz Funk. If fitness is your focus, then you will want to check out the many conditioning or dance fitness classes. If you are not sure about a class, have questions about the level, or just want more information, feel free to speak with a member of our Customer Experience team at 512.501.8704.
Do I need to pre-register for classes?
On-Site Classes: We recommend that you sign up ahead of time online to ensure a spot in a class. If you sign-up for a drop-in class online and are unable to attend, the class must be cancelled 3 hours prior to the start of the class or you will be charged. Early cancellation of a drop-in dance or fitness class will automatically return the class to your account. Those who late cancel with the One Month Unlimited will incur a $10 Cancellation/NO SHOW fee.
BA LIVE Classes: Sign-up closes 20 minutes prior to the class. JOIN links will be emailed before class start time. The class must be cancelled 2 hours prior to the start time.
Dance and fitness workshops DO require pre-registration before the start date. Workshops are enrollment based and generally last 4 to 6 weeks.
What is the cost of a class?
Everyone receives their first drop-in class $5.
Drop-in classes are offered at a single class rate and in packages of 5, 10, 20 and 40 at a reduced cost. Current deals and special offers can be found on our Pricing Page. Please NOTE: Class times and instructors are subject to change. Purchases are not refunded due to schedule changes as purchases may be used at any classes during each week.
Workshop pricing varies by style and length of workshop. Workshops must be pre-paid in full at the time of enrollment. Information about current offerings can be found on our Workshops Page.
How do I cancel a class I can no longer attend?
How do I cancel a class I can no longer attend?
Workshops have a no refund/no transfer policy. Call 512-501-8704 if you have questions.
On-Site Drop-in Classes: If you sign-up for an on-site dance or fitness class and are unable to attend, the class must be cancelled 3 hours prior to the start of the class or you will be charged. Early cancellation of a drop-in dance or fitness class will automatically return the class to your account for future use. Those who late cancel or NO SHOW with the One Month Unlimited will incur a $10 LATE/NO SHOW FEE.
BA LIVE Classes: Virtual Live Streaming classes must be cancelled within 2 hours of start time.
Pilates Center: If you sign-up for a Pilates reformer class and are unable to attend, the class/appt. must be cancelled 12 hours prior to the start of the class or you will be charged. Early cancellation of a Pilates reformer class will automatically return the class to your account for future use. Those who late cancel with the Pilates Group One Month Unlimited will incur a $20 LATE FEE.
How do I cancel:
Will I be the only adult in a class with children?
No. Our classes are geared towards adults. While older teens are welcome, most people attending are between the ages of 18 and 80.
What’s the difference between a class and a workshop?
Classes are offered on a drop-in basis allowing you to start at any time and come when you can. Classes allow for a very flexible schedule and the ability to take a variety of classes.
Workshops are enrollment based and are typically 4-6 weeks in length. You must pre-pay for the workshop when you enroll.
What are the benefits of purchasing multiple classes?
Purchasing a package of drop-in classes will expedite your sign-in process and offer you many convenient benefits:
- Offers a better value for the per-class rate.
- Offer a one-year expiration date (except on introductory offers).
- Classes are easily deducted from your account when you sign-up for a class.
- You can check how many classes remain at any time from the convenience of your home or phone, etc.
- Automated emails keep you apprised of expiration dates.
Do you sell Gift Cards?
Yes, Gift Cards are available for any dollar amount for the purchase of classes, workshops, and Pilates appointments. Gift Cards have no expiration and are non-refundable. Please referece the Pricing Page for more details.
When are you open?
7 days a week! The schedule varies from day to day so check it out and come dance or work out.
Where are you located and is there parking?
We are located at 501 W. 3rd St. in the heart of downtown Austin across from Lady Bird Lake. More information regarding parking can be found here. Come take a class and then enjoy some of the local shopping, restaurants, and entertainment around our center.
Do you have locker rooms and showers?
Men and women’s dressing rooms are available on the first level. Each have showers. There are a limited number of lockers that may be used while in the building for a class. Please do not leave personal locks on lockers other than during class time.
Who are your instructors?
Do you provide yoga/Pilates mats for fitness and conditioning classes?
We no have mats available in the studios for workout classes.
The #1 reason is for hygiene purposes. A clean, sanitary, and healthy environment is important to us. Therefore:
- We ask that you bring your own mat.
- Affordable high quality, eco-friendly, non-toxic mats are readily available for purchase online at sporting goods stores, Target, and other local retailers.
- You will be able to purchase an inexpensive mat at the front desk in the lobby when you arrive for $10.
What clothing and shoes should I wear?
In general, we suggest you wear comfortable loose-fitting clothes that you can move in, like shorts, sweats, yoga pants, jazz pants, t-shirts, tanks, etc. Please refer to each class description for more details about recommended attire or contact us at 512.501.8704.
For a ballet class, leotard and tights is recommended but not required.
- Ballet — ballet technique shoes
- Ballet Fit — ballet technique shoes or socks
- Jazz — jazz shoes or dance sneakers
- Hip Hop and Jazz Funk — please wear clean street shoes
- Modern, West African, and Hula — just bare feet is fine
Do you have classes for older adults?
Many of the classes offered by the Butler Center for Dance & Fitness are suitable for older adults at a variety of fitness levels. Feldenkrais® is a great drop-in class for those looking for something less intense. We also offer the Better Balance & Movement Workshop which is excellent for people of all ages, but especially beneficial to the older adult or those dealing with the affects of neurological conditions such as Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, and stroke.
Find out more about ACTIVE AGING classes and workshops.
If you have a questions about a particular class, or its intensity level, feel free to contact us.
Do you offer private lessons?
Yes! Learn more about Private Lessons here.
Do you ever offer classes or workshops to groups at the work place or come out to an event to teach a demo?
Yes. We are very involved in the community and love the opportunity to speak about the importance of lifelong health and fitness, and how to get fit and have fun through regular physical activity. We also can arrange special workouts for your workplace.
We also offer some of our favorite classes as team building activities. Find our more about Private Group Classes here.
What is Pilates and do you have Pilates at Ballet Austin?
Yes! We have a state-of-the-art Pilates Center in our building. Pilates is still one of the best workouts after almost 100 years. Read more about Ballet Austin’s Pilates Center.
Do you have classes for children?
Yes. We have camps and workshops specific to pre-teens and teens (ages 10 – 16) during the summer.
Butler Center for Dance & Fitness
501 West 3rd Street
Austin, Texas 78701