THE NUTCRACKER SCHOOL SHOWS
AT THE LONG CENTER
Sponsored by H-E-B and the Powell Foundation. Endowed by Edie Rogat & Cotter Cunningham through the Ballet Austin Foundation.
Each year, more than 8,800 Central Texas elementary school students and teachers attend Ballet Austin’s The Nutcracker School Shows. The mission of these student matinees is to provide one act of a professional ballet performance at a minimal cost for local elementary-aged students.
To enhance students’ experience, we also offer The Nutcracker Docent Program in-person and virtually. This is an optional pre-performance educational program geared towards 3rd graders that includes engaging activities for the classroom setting.
The Nutcracker School Shows performances will take place December 6-7, 2023 at the Long Center for the Performing Arts
- Admission is limited to Kindergarten through 5th Grade students and their teachers and chaperones. No children younger than Kindergarten or older than 5th Grade are allowed to attend. Chaperones must be 18 years of age or older.
- A minimum of 10 students and one teacher per school is required for registration.
- We invite schools to register for either Act I or Act II. For groups wanting to attend both acts, please contact our Box Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512.476.2163 to purchase tickets for one of our public performances.
For student safety, all teachers and chaperones attending in-person must have been registered and paid for by the school before November 3, 2023.
- All school employees must wear official school identification.
- For all parent chaperones:
- The school must purchase their tickets as a part of the school’s registration before November 3
- The school must provide a list of approved and paid-for parent chaperones to Ballet Austin by Friday December 1
- Parent chaperones must wear a school visitor ID stickers issued on the day of the school show
- Parent chaperones must be present to help escort students to and from the theater
- For the safety of the students attending these shows, all other adults will not be allowed to enter the theater. If a chaperone’s name is not provided to Ballet Austin by December 1, they will not be allowed to enter the theater.
- Individual tickets will not be sold for these performances. All tickets must be purchased through the school, and all persons attending with a school must be included in the school’s attendance numbers by November 3, 2023.
- No tickets will be sold at the theater on performance days. All tickets must be purchased by November 3.
- All reservations must be confirmed by Ballet Austin. After you submit your registration information, you will receive an order confirmation via email signaling that your reservation is confirmed.
- All payment must be received before your campus attends The Nutcracker School Shows.
- All schools attending these shows must follow the arrival and departure instructions provided by Ballet Austin and the Long Center.
- Please be prepared for potentially long wait times, and long lines when entering and exiting the theater.
You will need the following information when you register:
School name and district
- Registrant’s contact info (name and email)
- Bookkeeper’s contact info (name and email)
The grade level(s) of students attending the show
Total # of students attending
Total # of teachers and aides attending
Total # of classrooms attending
Title I status for your campus
The date and time you prefer to attend the school shows (December 6 or 7, 10am or 12pm)
Total # of students with special needs attending, as well as types of special needs
Total # of aides to accompany students with special needs
Whether your school plans to arrive on bus or cars, and the total number of vehicles
School contact information (address and phone numbers)
Whether or not your campus would like to request an in-person Docent presentation
Location: Long Center for the Performing Arts, 701 W. Riverside Drive, Austin, TX 78704
Wed Dec 6 at 10am (Act I)
Wed Dec 6 at 12pm (Act II)
Thurs Dec 7 at 10am (Act I)
Thurs Dec 7 at 12pm (Act II)
Students (minimum group size is 10 elementary-aged students):
- Elementary Students: $10 per ticket
- Title I Elementary Schools: $6 per ticket
Adults (includes all teachers, administrators & other chaperones):
- 1 free adult chaperone per every 22 students
- Additional chaperones are $25 each
For the safety of all students, any chaperones without a school ID or visitor ID sticker from the school will not be allowed into the theater.
Chaperones who are not included on an approved chaperone list submitted by the school by December 1, 2023, and who arrive separately from the school, will not be allowed to enter the theater.
Registration & Payment Schedule
Please enter the following dates in your calendar now to insure you meet all registration and payment deadlines.
- Wednesday, September 6 at 10am: Registration opens and a registration form will appear at the bottom of the page. If registration has opened and you are not able to see the form, please refresh you browser.
- Friday, November 3:
- Registration closes for The Nutcracker School Shows at 9am.
- All payments are due and must be received by Ballet Austin on or before this date. If your school’s payment is not received by this date your School Shows spot may be cancelled so that we may accommodate another school. If you need more time to pay, please reach out to us before November 3.
- All registration changes are also due by this date and attendance numbers are sent to the theater for seating. If you submit changes after this date we cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate them. Any changes submitted after this date that are approved and result in additional charges must be paid immediately with the school’s credit card.
Dates for Receiving Materials
Monday, November 13: All schools that have paid in full receive the link to the curriculum portal. All other schools receive the link upon completion of payment.
- Week of November 13: All schools that have paid in full receive theater seating assignments and teacher information packets.
- Ballet Austin accepts EFT/ACH payments from several school districts, including AISD and Hutto ISD. If your district prefers payment by EFT/ACH and does not have that set up with us yet, please contact us to do so.
- Checks are accepted.
- No purchase orders are accepted as payment.
- There are no refunds for The Nutcracker School Shows performances.
The Nutcracker School Shows registration is open now!
Each year Ballet Austin offers The Nutcracker Docent Program free of charge to students attending The Nutcracker School Shows. The multi-media presentation engages students in educational content and helps to contextualize their experience with a live ballet performance. The program meets 3rd grade TEKS for Fine Arts, Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies, and includes fun elements such as video excerpts and simple dance activities. The in-person version of the Docent Program provides real pointe shoes and ballet slippers, actual costumes from past productions, and a Q&A session during which students can have all of their questions answered. Learn more about both versions of the program here.