This program serves students in Pre-K4 through 5th Grade
About the Program
EduMoves™ VIRTUAL, Ballet Austin’s newest TEKS-aligned in-school program, educates students through movement, utilizing kinesthetic learning rooted in dance, yoga, and mindfulness to develop problem-solving and critical thinking, increase physical activity and development, enhance kinesthetic awareness, improve social-emotional skills such as stress-management, and promote overall well-being in young children Pre-K4 through 5th Grade.
This online on-demand version of our EduMoves™ program prioritizes students’ well-being and physical activity. This weekly series of three 10-15 minute video lessons features activities grounded in mindfulness, multiple genres of dance, and themed yoga flows, and is designed for elementary-aged children to practice independently. Additionally, the yoga flows will be provided as activity sheets for students to use at home when access to virtual lessons may be limited.
In support of elementary school students, teachers, and families in Austin and the surrounding communities during COVID-19, Ballet Austin is currently offering EduMoves™ VIRTUAL to Austin-area school districts free of charge for the remainder of 2020.
The EduMoves™ Virtual weekly curriculum consists of the following, which can be presented to students as three discrete lessons on the suggested days of the week, or which can be combined into one longer 30-45 minute lesson for use on one or more days of the week. This program is designed to be as flexible as possible for both the campus and home environments. Each odd-numbered week will introduce a new lesson, and each even-numbered week will review and expand on the previous lesson.
- Mindful Mondays
- 10-15 minute mindfulness practices designed by our certified yoga instructor
- Lessons align with SEL Competencies and TEKS for Health Education
- Wiggle Wednesdays
- 10-15 minute dances from multiple cultures, genres, and time periods, as well as movement games, all designed by our education staff
- Lessons align with SEL Competencies, TEKS for Music and Physical Education, and the National Core Arts Standards in Dance
- Friday Flows
- 10-15 minute themed yoga flows designed by our certified yoga instructor
- Lessons align with SEL Competencies and TEKS for Physical Education
- PDFs of the yoga flows will be provided for schools to distribute to families who might not have ready and consistent access to the virtual lessons
Sample Lessons for 1st-5th Grades – Weeks 1 & 2 Videos and Yoga Flow PDF
The EduMoves™ Team
Pei-San Brown, Ballet Austin’s Director of Community Education
- Ph.D. coursework completed in Curriculum and Instruction specializing in Early Childhood Education, The University of Texas at Austin
- M.A., Curriculum and Instruction specializing in Early Childhood Education, The University of Texas at Austin
- B.A., Dance Pedagogy, University of California at Irvine
- B.S., Biological Sciences, University of California at Irvine
- Kumu Hula (or “Hula Master”) equivalent to a graduate degree in the study of Hula
Kylie Phillips, Ballet Austin’s Community Education Associate
- B.F.A., Dance, Texas Christian University
- Minor in Psychology, Texas Christian University
- 200hr Yoga Teacher Certification
- Certified Barre Instructor with Studio Barre
Kathleen Rockefeller, Educational Consultant
- M.A., Curriculum and Instruction, The University of Texas at Austin
- B.S., Elementary Education and Teaching, Louisiana State University
- School Principal Certification, Texas Education Agency
- Instructional Coach at Del Valle ISD and BetterLesson
Participating School Districts
- Austin ISD
- Bastrop ISD
- Leander ISD
- Manor ISD
- Pflugerville ISD
- Round Rock ISD
For more information, or to bring EduMoves™ Virtual to your district or school, please contact Pei-San Brown, Director of Community Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512.476.9151 ext.178.
This project is funded and supported in part by a grant from the Texas Commission on the Arts.
Community Education Program Sponsors