Elementary Division (Ages 8-10)
Enrollment for the Summer Session (June 20 – July 31, 2022) is now open!
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Formal ballet training begins in the Elementary Division, a rigorous and comprehensive program of the highest caliber.
The Elementary Division syllabus progresses at a rate that allows the student to learn the exercises correctly and with full physicality. Repetition and slow careful work is emphasized, with the students learning discipline and control of their bodies.
Elementary Division students are required to attend all scheduled classes for their level and progress to the next level once they master the material and physical understanding of the syllabus in their current level. Students receive a written progress report at the end of each School Year.
BALLET AUSTIN ACADEMY BENEFITS
There are many benefits to training at Ballet Austin Academy, for both the student and family.
- At the end of the year, Elementary Division students participate in the Academy Spring Presentation. *
- All Academy students train in the same state-of-the-art facilities as Ballet Austin’s professional dancers, providing the opportunity/access to view Company rehearsals of upcoming performances.
- A select group of Ballet Austin Company Dancers serve as instructors in the Elementary Division.
- Live accompaniment is an important aspect of a professional ballet training program and is provided for all Elementary Division classes.
- Academy students are given the opportunity to audition for the professional production of The Nutcracker.
- Level 1 students and their parents have the opportunity for an exclusive backstage tour of The Nutcracker during production week at The Long Center*
- 20% discount on all single tickets for Ballet Austin’s five annual productions at The Long Center, including The Nutcracker.
- Discounts for parents for Butler Center for Dance & Fitness classes and workshops.
- Complimentary BeWell Talks for Academy parents and students, featuring relevant topics for families.
- FREE or reduced-rate parking, on-site or nearby.
*This event is tentative pending updates to health and safety standards and mandates that may be in place at that time.
**Health and safety protocols permitting for the 2022/23 production
CURRENT COVID-19 PROTOCOLS
Ballet Austin’s current health and safety protocols reflect recommendations from the CDC, federal, state, local health officials and the guidance of Ballet Austin’s medical advisor. With the health and safety of our students and staff as our highest priority, Ballet Austin’s protocols are cautious and evolving. As new recommendations are announced, we will send updates to our protocols, as warranted.
- Parents are asked to be on alert for any symptoms of COVID-19 and keep their student at home if showing any cold-like symptoms like coughing, sneezing, or a temperature of 100.4 or higher.
- Students will enter and exit the building through the main entrance on the corner of 3rd and San Antonio streets.
- Access to the building will be limited to staff and students only – Parents/Guardians should plan to drop off/pick up students outside the building.
- Student access to the building will be limited to 30 minutes prior to class.
- No early drop-off will be available
- Prompt pick-up at the conclusion of the student’s day is required.
- Ballet Austin staff, faculty, and accompanists are fully vaccinated.
- All eligible students are strongly encouraged to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
- Ballet Austin is now a mask-optional facility. While choosing to wear a mask remains an option, masks are no longer required while on Ballet Austin premises. The City of Austin and Travis County have lifted all COVID-19 emergency rules and orders.
- Student masks must be provided by the student/student’s family.
- If students are feeling sick, regardless of whether or not they are vaccinated, they should stay home and contact their medical provider.
- We strongly encourage being tested before returning.
- If you test positive, you will need to stay home and report your case to the registrar via email or by calling 512.501.8703.
- Returning to class:
- After testing positive, you need to wait five days before returning to class (the day you tested positive is Day 0).
- Anyone who tested positive will need to be symptom-free and fever-free, without fever-reducing medication, for 24 hours before returning.
- Students who return to class on the sixth day after a positive result are asked to mask for five more calendar days.
Meet Your Instructors
Level 1 Instructor
Elementary Division Placement & Registration for New and Returning Students
FOR CURRENT ACADEMY STUDENTS
Students should enroll based on their 2020/21 year-end evaluation. Former Pre-Ballet 7 students, who are 8 years of age by September 1, 2022, may enroll in Level 1.
FOR NEW STUDENTS
Previous Ballet Experience, Ages 8+
Students 8 years of age and older, with previous ballet experience, who are new to Ballet Austin, are required to attend a Placement Audition on August 21 or submit a Digital Audition to determine their acceptance and level placement.
No Previous Ballet Experience, Ages 8–10
Students 8 years of age to 10 years of age, as of September 1, 2022, with no previous dance experience, are automatically placed in Level 1.
No Previous Ballet Experience, Ages 11+
Students 11 years of age and older, with no previous dance experience, should contact the Butler Center for Dance & Fitness at 512.501.8704 to get information regarding ballet and other dance and fitness classes.