Intermediate & Advanced Divisions
About the Program
Students placed in the Intermediate and Advanced Divisions have shown they have the discipline and determination to commit to a serious ballet program as well as having the required technical ability and physical strength.
Intermediate and Advanced Division students attend class 8–14 hours per week, depending on the level. Progression to the next level is based on the student’s mastery of the vocabulary and the physical understanding of the syllabus in his or her current level. Students receive a written progress report at the end of each school year.
There are many benefits to training at Ballet Austin Academy, for both the student and family.
- Ballet technique and pointe, with partnering and variations added for Levels 7 and 8, comprise the core curriculum.
- Intermediate and Advanced Division students participate in conferences with Ballet Austin Academy Artistic Staff once or twice each year.
- Live accompaniment is provided for all Intermediate and Advanced Division classes.
- Intermediate and Advanced Division students are eligible to audition for The Nutcracker.
- Levels 4-9 participate in “Opening Night at the Ballet” and receive one complimentary ticket to each opening night performance of Ballet Austin’s season, with the exception of The Nutcracker.
- At the end of the year, Intermediate and Advanced Division students participate in the Academy Spring Performance.
- All Academy students train in the same state-of-the-art facility as Ballet Austin’s professional dancers and often are able to view rehearsals of upcoming performances.
- A select group of Ballet Austin Company Dancers are also instructors in the Intermediate and Advanced Divisions.
Ballet Austin is happy to announce that it is now a collaborator with The Austin School of Performing and Visual Arts. Dancers enrolled in ASPVA’s full-time, academic and fine arts program will earn credit on their transcripts from accredited dance classes at Ballet Austin Academy, as well as the opportunity to participate in dance courses offered during the school day at ASPVA. Participation is contingent on being accepted into Ballet Austin Academy’s Intermediate or Advanced Division.
Other Benefits Include:
- 20% discount on single tickets to Ballet Austin performances at The Long Center, including The Nutcracker.
- Discounts to Butler Center for Dance & Fitness classes and workshops for parents.
- BeWell Talks specifically designed for Academy parents and students.
- The opportunity to learn more about Ballet Austin through a guided tour of our facility offered exclusively to Academy families in the fall and spring.
- FREE or reduced rate parking, on-site or nearby
Tuition – School Year Program
Ballet Austin Academy 2020/21 School Year Tuition will be posted in June, 2020
Intermediate & Advanced Divisions Year Placement & Registration for New Students
Intermediate & Advanced Divisions Level Placement & New Student Registration information will be posted in June, 2020
No Previous Dance Experience, Ages 11+
Students age 11+, with no previous dance experience, should contact the Butler Center for Dance & Fitness at 512.501.8704 to get information regarding ballet and other dance and fitness classes.
Ballet Austin Academy 2020/21 Class Schedule will be posted in June, 2020
Off-Campus Physical Education (OCPE)
OCPE: An Alternative to PE at School
Interested in receiving a PE waiver for your middle school or high school PE class?
Off-Campus Physical Education (OCPE) provides an opportunity for students in grades 7–12 to receive credit for participation in an off-campus, physical education/athletic program.
School districts are authorized by the Texas Education Agency (TEA) to substitute participation in private or commercially sponsored athletic/training programs (Ballet Austin Academy Intermediate and Advanced Divisions) for the middle school physical education requirement and the state-required high school physical education graduation credit.
Ballet Austin Academy Intermediate and Advanced Division students interested in receiving a waiver to NOT participate in PE in their school must apply to and follow the requirements set by their school/school district and enroll into one of the OCPE tracks at Ballet Austin.
Ballet Austin works with each school district according to the individual district requirements and guidelines set forth by the Texas Education Agency.
In order to proceed as a part of the OCPE waiver program and receive a PE credit through Ballet Austin, please complete the following:
Application process required by your student’s school district for approval by the school/district. Provide Ballet Austin with the forms from your school district. Please allow up to 10 business days for Ballet Austin to process paperwork requests for OCPE.
Download the detailed requirements for participation in Ballet Austin’s Off Campus PE program below. A registration form is also included for registration into Ballet Austin’s OCPE.
Please be reminded that the Academy will need to have completed forms from the school district approving participation.
For more information email the Academy Registrar or call 512.501.8704 Ext. 138.