Butler Center for Dance & Fitness
Where are you located and is there parking?
We are located at 501 W. 3rd St. in the heart of downtown Austin just north of Lady Bird Lake on the corner of 3rd & San Antonio.
Ballet Austin has made arrangements for you to have access to FREE and discounted parking when you come take a class. More information about parking can be found here. Come take a class and then enjoy some of the local shopping, restaurants, and entertainment around our center. Check out our walking map here.
How do I get started? How to I access my account?
If you are NOT new, but do not remember your log-in credentials please contact our team at 512-501-8704 for assistance.
Once your account is set up, you can purchase a single class or multiple classes, register for a workshop, purchase packages for the Pilates Center, check your schedule, check how many classes you have remaining, update your personal information, and update your payment information. We’d be happy to help you over the phone as well. Call 512.501.8704.
Are there membership fees? And what are prices?
We do not have membership fees. Classes operate on a drop-in basis—start any time and come when you can. No membership requirement or long-term obligation. So give us a try!
Everyone who is new receives their first drop-in class for $5.
- Drop-in classes are offered at a single class rate and in packages of 5, 10, 20 and 40 at a reduced cost. Current deals and special offers can be found on our Pricing Page. Please NOTE: Class times and instructors are subject to change. Purchases are not refunded due to schedule changes as purchases may be used at any classes during each week.
Purchasing a package of drop-in classes will offer you many convenient benefits:
- Offers a better value for the per-class rate.
- Offer a one-year expiration date (except on introductory offers).
- Classes are easily deducted from your account when you sign-up for a class.
- You can check how many classes remain at any time from the convenience of your home or phone, etc.
- Automated emails keep you apprised of expiration dates.
Workshop pricing varies by style and length of workshop. Workshops must be pre-paid in full at the time of enrollment. Information about current offerings can be found on our Workshops Page.
Do I need to pre-register for classes?
Dance & Fitness Drop-in Classes: We recommend that you sign up ahead of time online to ensure a spot in a class. If you sign-up for an on-site drop-in class and are unable to attend, the class must be cancelled 3 hours prior to the start of the class or you will be charged. Early cancellation of a drop-in dance or fitness class will automatically return the class to your account. Those who late cancel or NO SHOW with the One Month Unlimited will incur a $10 Cancellation/NO SHOW fee.
Dance workshops DO require pre-registration before the start date. Workshops are enrollment based and generally last 4 to 6 weeks.
How do I CANCEL a class when I can no longer attend?
How do I cancel a class when I can no longer attend?
If you sign-up for a dance or fitness class and are unable to attend, the class must be cancelled 3 hours prior to the start of the class or you will be charged. Early cancellation of a drop-in dance or fitness class will automatically return the class to your account for future use. Those who late cancel or NO SHOW with the One Month Unlimited will incur a $10 LATE/NO SHOW FEE.
We will always understand extenuating circumstances.
HOW to cancel:
- THROUGH THE APP
- CALL 512-501-8704 (leave a message if no answer so we have a time stamp on your request)
Workshops have a no refund/no transfer policy. Please please make sure to check the dates of the workshop before enrolling.
If you sign-up for a Pilates reformer class and are unable to attend, the class/appt. must be cancelled 12 hours prior to the start of the class or you will be charged. Early cancellation of a Pilates reformer class will automatically return the class to your account for future use. Those who late cancel with the Pilates Group One Month Unlimited will incur a $20 LATE FEE.
We will always understand extenuating circumstances.
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY
Ballet Austin’s Butler Center for Dance & Fitness will hold all classes and workshops as scheduled, rain or shine. Customer cancellation policy applies (3-hour window).
If an official determination is made to cancel a class due to severe inclement weather, we will notify those pre-signed for the date.. You can also find updates on our website or by following us on our social media channels, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for updates.
THINGS YOUR INSTRUCTOR MAY NOT TELL YOU…but you should know
A few things you should know before arriving for a class to make your experience the best ever:
- This is your time! Come prepared to dance, work out, have fun and enjoy your class to the fullest.
- Be on time. Aim to arrive 10 minutes before your class is due to start. When you are late it can be stressful to you, can be disruptive to the rest of the class, and takes away from the very important warm-up time at the first part of a class.
- Leave your cell phone silenced in your bag during class. This is your time! An hour or 2 without checking your text messages is good for you! But we do love to have you take photos and videos at the end of class and post to your social channels.
- When you’re sick, stay home! You may want to sweat out your cold or flu, but others don’t want your germs. It’s okay to take a break and get yourself well!
- Bring water! Proper hydration is just as important to your fitness and wellness as the workout! And because many instructors are going to make you sweat, you need that water! We do have a Hydration Station on the first floor to fill water bottles.
- No, you don’t have to be a pro! We love the range of ages and abilities that take our classes. Everyone has a first day and everyone was a beginner at one time. Don’t worry if other people are using heavier weights, going farther while stretching, or just seem to get the choreography. The fact that you are there participating is the most important thing. Show up and give your best effort, and no one can ask for more than that! Including you! Expect to have fun and leave feeling great!
- Develop body awareness. This is especially important in a group setting. Body odor happens. To prepare for that, keep wet deodorant wipes in your bag and give your underarms a wipe prior to class and put on more deodorant.
- Wear clean workout clothes every time you workout. And wash them right after your workout to avoid the sweat smells from seeping into the fabrics and staying there.
- We want you to come back! We love connecting with people but it takes time to get to know you and remember your name! But we want to get to know you and call you by name so come back!
- Ballet Austin is a non-profit performing arts organization. We have a lot going on! Check out our website tabs for all that we do!
How do I know if a class is right for me?
People take classes for a variety of reasons: recreational fun, burning calories, or learning or improving a technique. If you are looking for a class to dance and have fun, there are a variety of classes that will keep you moving and make you smile. If fitness is your focus, then you will want to check out the many conditioning or dance fitness classes. But remember…any type of dance is a great workout!
If you are not sure about a class, have questions about the level, or just want more information, feel free to speak with a member of our Customer Experience team at the front desk, call 512.501.8704, or email your questions.
Will I be the only adult in a class with children?
No. Our classes are geared towards adults. While older teens are welcome, most people attending are between the ages of 18 and 80.
What’s the difference between a class and a workshop?
Classes are offered on our weekly schedule, allowing you to start at any time and come when you can. Classes allow for a very flexible schedule and the ability to take a variety of classes. And you only pay for classes you sign up for (please refer to cancelation policy)
Workshops are enrollment based and are typically 4-6 weeks in length. You must pre-pay for the workshop when you enroll.
Who are your instructors?
Why can't classes move to larger space?
This is a great question!
Space is always a challenge because we do so much! Our studios are shared by our professional company, our second company (apprentices – BA II), our Fellowship program, our Academy, our Arts Education programming, and more!
We will always move adults classes into the best space available when it opens up.
Do you have locker rooms and showers?
Men and women’s dressing rooms are available on the first level. Each have showers. There are a limited number of lockers that may be used while in the building for a class. Please do not leave personal locks on lockers other than during class time.
Do you provide yoga/Pilates mats for fitness and conditioning classes?
We no have mats available in the studios for workout classes.
The #1 reason is for hygiene purposes. A clean, sanitary, and healthy environment is important to us.
- We ask that you bring your own mat or towel for floor classes.
- Affordable high quality, eco-friendly, non-toxic mats are readily available for purchase online or at sporting goods stores, Target, and other local retailers.
- You will be able to purchase an inexpensive mat at the front desk in the lobby.
What clothing and shoes should I wear?
In general, we suggest you wear comfortable loose-fitting clothes that you can move in, like shorts, sweats, yoga pants, jazz pants, t-shirts, tanks, etc. Please refer to each class description for more details about recommended attire or contact us at 512.501.8704.
For a ballet class, leotard and tights is recommended but not required.
Recommended Shoes for Dance Classes
- Ballet — ballet technique shoes
- Contemporary, Jazz — jazz shoes, ballet shoes, or dance sneakers
- Hip Hop and Jazz Funk — please wear clean street shoes
- Modern, West African, and Hula — just bare feet is fine
Do you have classes for older adults?
Ballet Austin’s mission includes encouraging health and well-being. We desire people to be active and well for life!
Many of the classes offered by the Butler Center for Dance & Fitness are suitable for older adults at a variety of fitness levels.
We also offer classes and workshops specifically for Active Aging.
If you have a questions about a particular class, or its intensity level, feel free to contact us.
Do you offer private lessons?
What is Pilates and do you have Pilates at Ballet Austin?
Yes! We have a state-of-the-art Pilates Center in our building. Pilates is still one of the best workouts after more than 100 years. Read more about Ballet Austin’s Pilates Center.
Do you have classes for children?
Classes are geared towards adults. We do welcome teens (ages 13- 16) during the summer.
Children’s ballet classes are offered through the Ballet Austin Academy. Find out more here.
Butler Center for Dance & Fitness
501 West 3rd Street
Austin, Texas 78701