This program serves students in Pre-K4 through 2nd Grade
About the Program
Our EduMoves™ program uses kinesthetic learning rooted in dance to provide an effective and engaging approach to teaching curricular concepts that classroom educators have identified as especially challenging for students. The program’s goal is to increase comprehension in core classroom curricula and essential skills in English Language Arts and Reading, Math, Science, and Social Studies for each grade level from Pre-K4 through 2nd, as well as to develop problem-solving and critical thinking, increase kinesthetic awareness and physical development, and improve social-emotional skills including mindfulness and collaboration.
The structure of each weekly lesson includes a dance/movement-based warm-up and a yoga/mindfulness cool-down activity that bookend one academic learning module per 45-minute class period. Social-emotional learning (SEL) will be a primary focus during all lessons. The academic learning modules address high priority Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) identified by schools and explore concepts from different disciplines using dance as the vehicle for learning. Academic elements align with TEKS standards and also align chronologically with Austin ISD’s Scope and Sequence for each of the grade levels served. Dance elements for the warm-up activities align with the National Core Arts Standards in Dance. Yoga and mindfulness practices utilized for the cool down activities meet SEL Competencies.
Ballet Austin’s EduMoves™ program currently serves Blackshear, Maplewood, and Wooten Elementary Schools in the Austin Independent School District.
The length and content of the program can be customized to fit the needs of your school:
- As a long-term residency encompassing all subject areas (30 weeks of instruction including ELAR, Math, Science, and Social Studies, along with dance warm-ups and yoga/mindfulness cool downs)
- As a short-term residency with customized modules concentrating on specific subjects chosen by your campus (i.e. 4 weeks of Math and Science, along with dance warm-ups and yoga/mindfulness cool downs)
The EduMoves™ Team
Pei-San Brown, Ballet Austin’s Director of Community Education
- Ph.D. coursework completed in Curriculum and Instruction specializing in Early Childhood Education, The University of Texas at Austin
- M.A., Curriculum and Instruction specializing in Early Childhood Education, The University of Texas at Austin
- B.A., Dance Pedagogy, University of California at Irvine
- B.S., Biological Sciences, University of California at Irvine
- Kumu Hula (or “Hula Master”) equivalent to a graduate degree in the study of Hula
Kathleen Rockefeller, Educational Consultant and EduMoves™ Supervising Teaching Artist
- M.A., Curriculum and Instruction, The University of Texas at Austin
- B.S., Elementary Education and Teaching, Louisiana State University
- School Principal Certification, Texas Education Agency
- Instructional Coach at Del Valle ISD and BetterLesson
Sam Rosas-Mantilla, Ballet Austin’s Community Education Assistant and EduMoves™ Substitute Teaching Artist
- B.F.A, Dance Studies, The University of Texas at Austin
- Minor in Educational Psychology, The University of Texas at Austin
- TEA certified dance instructor Grades K-12
Rebecca Tulis, EduMoves™ Teaching Artist
- M.S.S.W., Social Work, The University of Texas at Austin
- B.A., Psychology, Creighton University
- Former Principal Dancer and Assistant Ballet Mistress, Anglian Ballet (Bury St Edmunds, England)
- Former LEAD Program Dance Instructor, Hornsby-Dunlap Elementary School (Del Valle ISD)
Kayur Patel, EduMoves™ Teaching Artist
- Group Fitness Certification in Yoga and Dance – Les Mills
- Diploma in Modern Applied Psychology – The Academy of Modern Applied Psychology
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) Certification – The Academy of Modern Applied Psychology
- TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) Certification – International TEFL Academy
- Associate of Science, Electrical Engineering – Austin Community College
For more information about having the program at your school, or for underwriting/sponsorship opportunities, please email Pei-San Brown or call 512.476.9151 ext. 178.
This project is funded and supported in part by a grant from the Texas Commission on the Arts.
Community Education Programs Sponsors