This program serves students in Pre-K4 through 2nd Grade
About the Program
Our EduMoves™ TEKS program uses kinesthetic learning rooted in dance to provide an alternative approach that effectively teaches concepts students are not grasping readily in a traditional classroom setting. The program’s goal is to increase comprehension in core classroom curricula and essential skills in English Language Arts and Reading, Math, Science, and Social Studies for each grade level from Pre-K4 through 2nd, as well as to develop problem-solving and critical thinking, increase kinesthetic awareness and physical development, and improve social-emotional skills including mindfulness and collaboration.
The structure of each weekly lesson includes movement-based warm-up and cool-down activities that bookend one academic learning module per 45-minute class period. Social-emotional learning (SEL) will be a primary focus during all lessons, especially during the 2020/21 school year. The academic learning modules address high priority Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) identified by schools and explore concepts from different disciplines using dance as the vehicle for learning. Academic elements align with TEKS standards and also align chronologically with AISD’s Scope and Sequence for each of the grade levels served. Dance elements for the warm-up activities align with the National Core Arts Standards in Dance. Yoga and mindfulness practices utilized for the cool down activities meet SEL Competencies.
Ballet Austin’s EduMoves™ TEKS program currently serves Maplewood, Wooten, and Oak Springs Elementary Schools.
The length and content of the program can be customized to fit the needs of your school:
- As a long-term residency encompassing all subject areas (30 weeks of instruction including ELAR, Math, Science, and Social Studies, along with dance warm-ups and yoga/mindfulness cool downs)
- As a short-term residency with customized modules concentrating on specific subjects chosen by your campus (i.e. 4 weeks of Math and Science, along with dance warm-ups and yoga/mindfulness cool downs)
The EduMoves™ Team
Pei-San Brown, Ballet Austin’s Director of Community Education
- Ph.D. coursework completed in Curriculum and Instruction specializing in Early Childhood Education, The University of Texas at Austin
- M.A., Curriculum and Instruction specializing in Early Childhood Education, The University of Texas at Austin
- B.A., Dance Pedagogy, University of California at Irvine
- B.S., Biological Sciences, University of California at Irvine
- Kumu Hula (or “Hula Master”) equivalent to a graduate degree in the study of Hula
Victoria (Tori) Johnson, Ballet Austin’s Interim Community Education Assistant
- Honors B.F.A., Ballet, University of Utah
- Minor in Nutrition, University of Utah
- 200-hour Registered Yoga Teacher, Yoga Alliance
Kylie Phillips, Curriculum Design
- B.F.A., Dance, Texas Christian University
- Minor in Psychology, Texas Christian University
- 200hr Yoga Teacher Certification
- Certified Barre Instructor with Studio Barre
Kathleen Rockefeller, Educational Consultant
- M.A., Curriculum and Instruction, The University of Texas at Austin
- B.S., Elementary Education and Teaching, Louisiana State University
- School Principal Certification, Texas Education Agency
- Instructional Coach at Del Valle ISD and BetterLesson
For more information about having the program at your school, or for underwriting/sponsorship opportunities, please email Pei-San Brown or call 512.476.9151 ext. 178.
This project is funded and supported in part by a grant from the Texas Commission on the Arts.
Community Education Programs Sponsors